When your hardwood floors need to be refinished, it can be difficult to know where to start. Hardwood floor sanding Geelong may seem like an intimidating task, but with these helpful tips, you'll be able to keep your floors looking new without worrying about destroying them in the process!
These tips will help you decide whether you should hire someone else to do the sanding or if you're up to the task of DIY hardwood floor sanding yourself.
You'll also learn how to prepare your wood floors for sanding and what kind of finishing products are best.
How often should you have your floors sanded?
How often you should have your hardwood floor sanding, Geelong depends on a few factors.
First, how much traffic does your home see? If you have a lot of people coming in and out, you'll need to sand more often.
Second, what kind of finish do you have on your floors? A high-gloss finish will show scratches more easily than a low-gloss or matte finish, so you may need to sand more often if you have a high-gloss finish.
Lastly, how old are your floors? If they're brand new, you probably won't need to sand for the first few years. But if they're older, you'll likely need to sand every one to three years to keep them looking their best.
Checklist for before you get your floors sanded
1. Move all furniture and rugs out of the room.
2. Vacuum and clean the floors thoroughly.
3. Find out if your floors need to be refinished or just sanded.
4. Choose the right sander for your floors.
5. Choose the right sandpaper for your sander and floors.
6. Follow the proper sanding procedures.
7. Finish up by vacuuming and cleaning the floors again.
Preparing yourself mentally and physically
When it comes to hardwood floor sanding, preparation is key. Not only do you need to make sure you have the right tools for the job, but you also need to mentally and physically prepare yourself for the task at hand.
The extra steps you can take while sanding hardwood floors
Here are a few extra steps you can take while floor sanding Geelong that will help ensure a beautiful, smooth finish:
1. Use low-grit sandpaper to start. This will remove any existing sealant or wax on the floor and help to create a smooth surface for the new finish.
2. Be sure to go with the grain of the wood when sanding. This will help avoid scratches and lines in the finished product.
3. Start in one corner of the room and work your way out. This way, you can make sure you don't miss any spots.
4. Use a damp cloth to wipe away any dust after each sanding session.
If you're thinking about refinishing your hardwood floors, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, the type of finish you choose will determine how often you'll need to sand your floors in the future. Second, be sure to use a rented sander with an orbital motion to avoid damaging your floors. And finally, remember to always start with coarse grit sandpaper and work your way up to a finer one. By following these tips, you can ensure that your hardwood floors will look beautiful for years to come!